This is a recipe passed down from my oldest auntie. The ingredients are one thing but I think the method is the key here.
- Carbonated Ice Cream Soda
- Carnation Evaporated Milk
- F&N Rose Syrup
- Vanilla Essence
- Pour ice & syrup into a jug
- Stir continuously while pouring in ice cream soda & evaporated milk
- Add a tiny amount of vanilla essence & salt
Key technique here is to keep on stirring and never add water else the evaporated milk will curdle. Using evaporated milk with higher milk fat content such as Ideal will make the mixture even more susceptible to curdling.
There’s no exact ratio as you just need to eyeball the color and add to taste. But as a guide, we usually use 2 cans of evaporated milk for a big bottle of soda.
But if you really wanted the exact ratio of ingredients, the book Johor Palate did provide some hard numbers and a variation of the method. I’ve personally never tried it but it kinda make sense.